LMVYC Junior Sailing Team
Junior sailing activities in the club were low key and informal for a number of years, nevertheless, some fine sailors developed and went on to sail for sailing teams at MIT, UCI and Stanford. Then in 2008 a Sabot was donated to the club and two others were purchased at bargain prices that year. Next, an abandoned Sabot and a donated Sabot were extensively repaired and restored to top condition. The club now has a fleet of eight race rigged Sabots available to train new juniors. Two Lasers are also available for day sailing and racing.
Catalina Expo 14.2 boats are used by the junior sailing team to gain experience in double and triple handed sailing. There are four Club owned Balboa 13s and two CFJs that are available to older junior sailing team members to sharpen their competitive racing skills.
LMVYC junior sailors have distinguished themselves in recent years at competitive sailing events on and off of the lake as regatta winners, series champs and high school sailing team captains. Two former junior sailing team members currently are at Cornell where one is on the varsity sailing team and another is a sailing instructor.
Participation in the Junior Sailing Team is open to members of LMVYC who are 8 to 18 years of age. Knowing how to swim is a prerequisite. Lessons are free, there is a nominal annual fee for use of club boats. Program goals are to introduce team members to the fun of competitive sailing and advance their sailing skills in a safe environment.
Sailing Team Practice
- Practices are held on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30 to 5:30 from March until October. Juniors are expected to attend at least one day per week.
- Beginners - sail solo and learn how to find wind direction and learn steering, tacking, gybing and other fundamentals.
- Intermediate Racing - introduction to basic racing rules, fundamentals of competitive racing including racing starts, boat handling, speed, strategy and tactics. Sabots and Expo 14.2s are used.
- Advanced Racing - Flexible format, Lasers and double handed CFJs and Balboa 13s focusing on honing boat handling and sail trimming skills in competition.
- Saturday sessions - practice races in Lasers and CFJs are occasionally held on Saturday afternoons for juniors ages 13 to 18.